Capability Boosts Performance
A multi-national engineering company needed its site managers to become effective general managers. This was because client expectations of sub-contractors were getting more demanding and site managers were being increasingly exposed by their narrow operations/engineering skill-set.
To up-skill site managers by helping them develop a much broader range of general management capabilities.
- Work was done to identify the most relevant capabilities needed by site managers
- These included renegotiating contracts, improving profitability, leading people, using technology to raise productivity and introducing new services
- A certificated diploma was created in partnership with a reputable business school
- Each site manager then produced a site project plan which was formally assessed
- Clients appreciated that site managers were better equipped to meet their needs
- Site managers became more accountable commercially
- Their performance and self confidence were boosted by the programme
- Client relationships improved noticeably over time
- Some site managers championed the programme internally